What Is Online Marketing?
It’s the practice of leveraging web-based channels to spread a message about a company’s brand, products, or services to its potential customers.
Methods and techniques used for online marketing includes email, social media, display advertising, search engine optimization and more.
The main objective of marketing is to reach potential customers through the channels where they spend time searching, shopping, reading or socializing online.
There is a widespread adoption of the Internet for personal and business use has generated many new channels for advertising and marketing engagement.
Benefits and challenges are inherent with online marketing which uses primarily digital mediums to attract, engage and convert virtual visitors to customers.
Online marketing differs from traditional marketing which has historically included mediums like billboard, print, television and radio advertisements.
Before online marketing channels emerged the cost to market products and services were often prohibitively expensive and traditionally difficult to measure.
Today, anyone with an online business (as well as most offline businesses) can participate in online marketing by creating a website and building customer acquisition campaigns at little to no cost.
Those services and marketing products also have the ability to experiment with optimization to fine-tune their campaign’s efficiency and ROI.
What are the benefits Of Online Marketing?
The key benefit of using online channels for marketing are business or product, which has the ability to measure the impact of any given channel as well as how visitors are acquired through different channels interact with a website or landing page experience.
Further analysis can be done to determine which channels are most effective in acquiring valuable customers, i.e., visitors who convert into paying customers.
Analytics for web or mobile app experiences can help determine the following:
- Online marketing channels that are most cost-effective at acquiring customers, based on the conversion rate of visitors to customers, and the cost of those visitors.
- Channels that are effective at acquiring higher lifetime value for customers, such as email marketing, which drives repeat purchases to prior customers.
- Customers exhibit strong engagement behavior and high potential for upsell, such as software or mobile apps. which are expected to sell more products to customers with high engagement.
What are the Online Marketing Tools?
There are a number of tools that can be used to build and maintain a robust online marketing program:
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Display Advertising
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Events & Webinars
- A/B Testing & Website Optimization
- Content Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Marketing Analytics
- Marketing Automation
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Content Management System (CMS)
Few examples Of Online Marketing:
Some examples of online marketing campaigns include:
- Kodak advertises for search keywords related to “photography” on Yahoo, Google and Bing search engines to market their cameras to a relevant audience.
- Swiggy collects email addresses on their website to advertise new products, sales and events in their stores.
- Lifebuoy creates video advertisements and shares them with their audience on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks to promote favorable conversation about their brand and products.
Online marketing can often be crowded and competitive. Though the opportunities to provide goods and services in both local and far-reaching markets is empowering, the competition can be significant.
There are many companies investing in online marketing may find visitors attention difficult to capture due to the number of competitors.
Hence marketers must develop a balance of building a unique value proposition and brand voice as they test and build marketing campaigns on various channels.
How to Get Started?
First step to get started with online marketing is to evaluate your goals and make sure they are measurable.
Then you need to make a choice about how to construct an online presence that helps you achieve that goal.
Maybe you need to set up an e-commerce site, i.e., if you’re interested in publishing content to drive awareness and subscribers look into setting up a blog. Landing page with a lead capture form or a simple website can help you start developing your brand and generating traffic.
Landing page with a lead capture form or a simple website can help you start developing your brand and generating traffic. A basic analytics platform (Google Analytics) can help you start to measure how you are tracking towards your initial goal.